Friday 11 March 2016

CREATE YOUR WORLD.

Create Your World.

"Make sure you bring your laptop to class tomorrow... "

Somehow, I never wanted to hear those words because I had a laptop that I had started to compare to a desktop computer, since I could only use it for at most, an hour, before having to plug it into a power source. This increasingly became cumbersome especially in the time of 'dumsor' (which I hope is genuinely over for good!) and made taking the laptop to class a whole task on its own. My frustration caused me to forget how 'faithful' it had been to me through my class assignments and other important tasks, till I actually started to treat it like the desktop I was unknowingly trying to force it to be.
Imagine my dismay when one day, immediately after an accidental disconnection, the laptop went off completely in the middle of its use. Somehow, I knew it was a combination of fact and words. Fact was that the laptop was quite old and would have eventually needed to be changed, but words were "My laptop is 'condemned' ", a confession that eventually became a reality.

What am I driving at?

This laptop may not have been an animate object, but it taught me quite a few lessons.

How we view people and situations in our minds, could eventually reflect in how we treat them or react to them. How often do we write people off because of one or two mistakes they have made? How often do we callously utter a discouraging word before we realise the gravity of our thoughtlessness?

My faithful laptop had a way of reminding me that we need to be constantly appreciative and not take the seemingly little things for granted. We need to appreciate others, no matter how small whatever they may have done for us is. Appreciation does not only have to be felt, but also expressed...you never know when someone just needs to hear it.
Faithful L, as I eventually decided to call the laptop, also had a way of reminding me of the importance of every moment we have. 'L' finally gained its status of being 'condemned' when I least expected it. No doubt, if I had treated it better, it would have lasted longer. We do not need to wait for people to walk out of our lives before we realise how important they are to us. Every moment with the special people in our lives is a precious opportunity to make life (both ours and theirs) count...and everyone is special in their own way.

At this juncture, I just want you to take a moment to reflect... What were the last words you said prior to this? Were they positive or negative? Did they build someone up or tear them down? Did they take you one step closer to a brighter future or indirectly stole something good from your days ahead?

I came across some stories of a few people who made it despite the discouragement they faced....
*Colonel Sanders
Founder of the famous KFC. He started at the age of 65! In trying to build his business, he was rejected 1009 times! He still pressed on despite the discouraging feedback.
Words have a great effect, which means, if you do not have anyone to speak positively into your life, take up the task YOURSELF and CREATE YOUR own WORLD.

*Stephen King
A famous book writer, his first book was rejected 30 times. He eventually gave up and threw his work into the trash. He just needed an encouraging word, and he found that in his wife, who retrieved the book from the trash and encouraged him to submit it again. That encouragement opened the door to many more books, and today, he has sold more than 30 million books!
Why don't you also be that encouraging voice in someone's life today?

*
This space has been left blank, to be filled by your name someday.  Your name could also be someday etched in the sands of time, if only you choose to CREATE YOUR WORLD with positive words and overcome whatever challenges you face.
Ghana is waiting for you.

It's amazing how something as trivial and mundane as an old laptop could teach me these important lessons. What lessons are out there waiting to catch your attention? We do not only learn for ourselves, but also to share with others. More than once, I have been humbled by the store of knowledge that those around us in our everyday lives have in them, just waiting to be shared.  The only key to unlocking such wealth is TO ASK.

Changing the Status Quo can never be half of what it is without you, the reader. The power however, does not lie only in reading, but spreading the word to others. A word could revive someone, teach another and yet correct another. That is how powerful our words can be. No doubt, my laptop experienced the power of my words firsthand! The world is waiting to be changed by your words. You could start with an encouraging word to someone or even by sharing this post with others!

CREATE YOUR WORLD TODAY!



Recommended books on the power of our words.
*The Books of Proverbs and James (found in the greatest book ever written, The Bible.)
*'Claim Your Inheritance' by Richard Roberts
*'The Game of Life (and how to play it)' by Florence Scovel Shinn.



If you were to think in a second, of three people who have impacted your life greatly by their words, who would they be?
Appreciate them today.


5 comments:

  1. "More than once, I have been humbled by the store of knowledge that those around us in our everyday lives have in them, just waiting to share. "

    You have a store of knowledge. Keep the great work up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great lesson to us all. Treat people with kindness and in humility. Appreciation is a key to climbing higher heights. God bless you to write more of such educative articles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so touched with your words. You are going to do great works and people will gather to listen to you. God bless you Boatemaa

    ReplyDelete